Friday, March 8, 2013

The "Qui" to my Heart

I would definitely consider myself a foodie. Few things make me happier than a good meal. I am always looking to try new restaurants and cuisines, and the "Recipes" folder in my Bookmarks is by far the largest in there. But a love for food and cooking is in my blood. Like Nikita, I have lots of food lovers in my family. My aunt and grandmother were successful caterers in India. My uncle is Corporate Chef and partner of Nick & Sam's Steakhouse in Dallas, Texas. And of course there's my mother, the best cook I know and a huge influence on my culinary endeavors.

So since I am a "foodie," naturally I love watching cooking shows. I watch the occasional Giada or Ina Garten episode, but what I really love is Top Chef. I've been following the show for a few years now, including the spin-offs Just Desserts and Masters. But the original series will always be my favorite. I love all the challenges and am amazed by some of the dishes these chefs create. With the exception of this past season, my mom and I usually watch together and make guesses as to who we think will be voted off that week.

The last season we watched together was the ninth with Paul Qui as the winning chef. Even early on in the season we knew he was going to win and he easily became our favorite chef. At the time he was executive chef at Uchiko and ran the East Side Kings food trucks, both in Austin, TX. Coincidentally, right in the middle of the Top Chef season, my family headed to Austin to visit my uncle, aunt, and cousin. Once we were there I immediately gushed about my new favorite chef to my aunt and we made a reservation for Uchiko. That meal was absolutely one of the best I have had in my life. We ordered most of the menu and everything - from the service to the food to the desserts - was amazing. 

Sadly my only picture of the night - the hot rock "sear it yourself" wagyu beef. 

I need to plan another trip to Austin because Paul Qui is opening up his own restaurant, qui. I. Can't. Wait. 

Last night, while flipping through Tyson Cole's Uchi cookbook, I found a great looking appetizer. Cole is the creator of Uchi and Uchiko and is Qui's mentor. His recipes are usually very complicated - they have so many layers and components - but I happened to have most of these ingredients so I thought I'd give it a try. I did make some substitutions and altered the amounts a little, so this is my version of his Mame Yaki.

 Kimchee base ingredients - clockwise from bottom right: leeks, ginger, garlic, shallot

 Be careful not to burn the garlic!

Peas with the homemade chile oil

It's important to get a good sear - if you feel like some of the smaller ones are cooked, put them in a bowl while the larger peas continue to cook



Spicy Peas with Kimchee
Serves 4 people

Ingredients:
Kimchee base
1 tsp. grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, sliced paper thin
1 shallot, sliced into thin rounds
1/2 cup leeks, sliced into thin rounds (or green onions)
1 Tbsp. canola oil
3 tsp. sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 Tbsp. fish sauce
Salt to taste
Spicy English Peas
1/4 lb. whole peas (in the pod)
Drizzle of canola oil
Drizzle of chile oil (I made my own with Sriracha and canola oil) 
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Steps:
1. Heat a saucepan on medium-high heat and add canola oil. 
2. When the oil is near smoking, add the ingredients and cook one at a time for 1 minute each in this order: shallot, garlic, ginger, and leeks. Adjust heat as necessary to prevent burning. 
3. Keep moving the ingredients around. Add sesame oil and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. 
4. Add red pepper flakes and remove pan from the heat. Add the fish sauce and salt. Set aside in a bowl. 
5. Clean the stems of the peas - make sure any dried leaves are removed. 
6. Heat canola oil in a grill pan on medium-high heat. The original recipe calls for cooking the peas on a gas grill. If you have access to one, go for it - that smoky flavor would be a great addition.
7. Add the peas and drizzle with the chile oil. Saute for about 10-15 minutes until the peas have a nice char and are all fully cooked. Add salt and pepper. 
8. Transfer peas to a bowl and top with the kimchee base. Stir to coat all the peas and serve.

These peas are a great substitution for edamame - and you eat them the same way!

2 comments:

  1. They were gone in a flash!!! Spicy and delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finger licking good. Kavi opened a crisp white from a Long Island Winery - truly a match made in heaven. Thanks Shauna. Well written & well executed.

    ReplyDelete