Monday, March 18, 2013

Family Traditions

Growing up, I was a very lucky girl.

I have already talked a little about my grandmother (my mom's mom) in India. She was so talented - every time we visited her and my grandfather in Bombay she would make a feast for every meal. I always went back home a little rounder than when I had arrived. She went out of her way to make my brother and I feel at home. I can still hear her sticking up for me when I wanted a little more ghee on my rice and daal. I miss her hugs, the way she smelled, and how she always wore saris, even to sleep.

My mom learned a lot of what she knows about food from her mother, including an appreciation for Continental food, or Western cuisines. My Aji used to make traditional Indian food as well as German, Italian, and Chinese dishes and so much more. For years my mom has followed the example of her mother. She makes the best food I've ever tasted - check out her blog. Basically everything she makes is delicious.

I read this Buzzfeed article a few weeks ago that does a pretty good job of pinpointing a lot of my experiences as a kid. I was always the brown/Asian Disney princess, I usually had atypical lunches (but sometimes they were McDonalds and that was awesome), home remedies are still primary medical solutions in my house, and I will always have to decode my mom's hybrid language. But the last gif is undoubtedly true - I wouldn't change a thing.

Now here's why I was (and am) so lucky. Holidays are a big thing in my family. As a dual-religion household (Hinduism and Catholicism), we celebrate Christmas and Diwali, Easter and Ganpati, as well as lots of other holy days. But we also celebrate other cultural holidays in the best way we know how - through food. On the Chinese New Year we have fried rice and stir frys, during Hanukkah we have latkes, and on Thanksgiving we have a traditional turkey dinner with all the sides -- no Indian spices allowed as per my strict instructions. But one of my favorite traditions that we have is Irish stew on St. Patrick's Day. We usually have Soda Bread too, but a lack of ingredients (and my mom and I usually eating the entire loaf ourselves) led to only the stew this year. Still feels like St. Paddy's Day and tastes like tradition.

Shiny, shiny onions

Close-up of that seared meat

Best - and easiest - chicken broth

Bouquet of flowers? Bouquet garni!

Nestled bouquet before the lid goes on

My favorite vegetable

Magical pressure cooker, which is sometimes scary when the steam comes out





Irish Stew
Serves 4 (hungry) people

Ingredients:
1 lb. lamb shoulder
3 Tbsp. canola oil, for frying
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 sprigs of thyme
1/2 packet of portabella mushrooms, sliced
4 Tbsp. barley
3/4 cup pearl onions
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaf)
1 large potato, thickly sliced
Handful of parsley, chopped
3 Tbsp. chives, chopped

** I used a pressure cooker because it cooks the meat faster, so my directions will follow that method. You can also cook the stew in a heavy-bottomed pot or saucepan, but the cook time will be much longer - about 2 hours. **

Steps:
1. Cut the lamb into chunks. You can leave some meat on a couple of the bones - it'll add flavor to the dish. 

2.  Heat the oil on a medium-high flame. Add the diced onions and cook, stirring often, until they are translucent. Then add the thyme.

3. Add the meat and stir. Get a good sear on all sides of the meat to lock in flavor. While it is browning, add the mushrooms and let them cook. Carrots are a great addition to the stew - I would've added them myself, but I was all out. Just cut them into chunks and add them in this step.

4. Once the meat and mushrooms have browned, add the barley and pearl onions. Stir to mix.

5. Add enough chicken broth to almost cover the meat. I like to use Trader Joe's chicken broth packets. They are a quick and easy substitute when you don't have homemade stock. Just follow the instructions on the packet. I poured 2 cups of water to cover the meat and then added the flavor packets directly into the pot.

6. Make the bouquet garni. Grab a handful of parsley and thyme and one bay leaf. Tie the whole bundle together with string and nestle it in the pot.

7. Add the potato and salt and stir to mix. Put the cover on the pressure cooker. **If using a regular pot, lower the flame and cover with a lid. Cook for 2 hours.**

8. Once the pressure cooker releases its steam, lower the flame and cook for 15 minutes.

9. Remove the lid and the bouquet. Garnish with parsley and chives and serve with rice or soda bread.

I find the best side for any Irish dish is, naturally, more potatoes.

And because this post is about my family and warm memories, here's one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZtJWJe_K_w

1 comment:

  1. That halo on my head is shining bright Shauna.. Thank you for such lovely words. Aji would be so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete