Friday, February 14, 2014

Chocolate Molten Cake

Valentine's Day has never really been a big deal for me. I've sort of found myself to be following a Liz Lemon path, so I feel more like this:



Or this:

Liz Lemon is working on her night cheese.

But really this:

I've never been one of those people that gets flowers or chocolates from their parents - I was told that my dad was mom's valentine and I would get presents when I found a valentine of my own (I was only slightly crushed). But when you don't have someone to buy you fancy chocolates, sometimes you have to make some for yourself.

I've been making chocolate molten lava cakes for years. It's always been for some birthday/holiday/reunion because I've only managed to make them in bulk. Which isn't really an issue because I always seem to be surrounded by people that love chocolate as much as I do. But since those friends and family are not close at hand and because there is no earthly reason for me to eat 18 chocolate cakes, I'll settle for a much smaller (and quicker) version of one of my favorite desserts.



When 2.. 


..become 1. 

Before

After


Chocolate Molten Cake
Serves one
*this recipe can easily be doubled if baking for two*

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used the chocolate chunks from Trader Joes)
1 egg
4 tsps. sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. all-purpose flour.

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and place a cookie sheet in the oven. Generously spray a ramekin with cooking spray. I used a 2 cup pyrex bowl, but I wouldn't go any larger than that.
2. Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30-40 seconds. Mix to combine and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and sugar. Add the chocolate mixture slowly, be careful not to cook the egg with the warm chocolate. Stir until fully incorporated.
4. Add salt and flour and mix until just combined. Pour into ramekin/pyrex bowl.
5. Bake for 7-13 minutes - cooking time will vary depending on the size of the dish so keep an eye on it. (I put mine in for about 14 minutes and it was only slightly molten. For a more gooey center, the less cook time the better. But make sure that the top is set before taking it out.)
6. Slide a knife around the edge of the dish (if you sprayed/buttered the dish enough the cake should not stick) and invert onto a plate. Serve plain or with vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. Guess your memory is fading! I did make special stuff on V day for you and your bro...chocolate strawberries, cookies. Oh how the mind goes with age!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete